Shearing Sports NZ
Welcome to Shearing Sports New Zealand
Shearing Sports New Zealand congratulates our own Rowland Smith for winning the shearing title at the World championships in Ireland, and the rest of the team of John Kirkpatrick, Ronnie Goss, Joel Henare, Tony Dobbs and Brian Thomson, who were all among the prize money. Coming up soon is the Elders Primary Wool UK tour. Full details on this web site, and follow us on facebook.
Events for this Month:
16th Golden Shears
Shearing and Woolhandling
(Incorporating All Ireland and
Irish All Nations Championships)
was held at
Knockmullen, Gorey, Co Wexford, May 22-25
World Championships 2014
results click here
The competition dates for 2013/2014 competitions can be viewed on this pdf.
- Kiwis back on track in Welsh shearing series - July 21, 2014
- David Fagan and John Kirkpatrick put New Zealand back in the hunt for an Elders Primary Wool UK Tour shearing series win over World Championships runners-up and Six-Nations Champions Wales by winning the teamsí second test at the Lampeter Shears, Southwest Wales, on Saturday...
- Elders Primary Wool UK Tour Ė Kiwis' Shanes Castle triumph - July 16, 2014
- An ancient Northern Ireland castle estate used for filming fantasy drama Game of Thrones has been the unlikely scene of the New Zealand shearing teamís latest victories on the Elders Primary Wool UK Tour...
- Kiwis beat England in Yorkshire shearing test - July 10, 2014
- New Zealand shearers John Kirkpatrick and David Fagan have scored a resounding win over England in the second of seven test matches on their Elders Primary Wool UK Tour...
- J.K. wins at Lakeland Shears - July 07, 2014
- New Zealand shearer John Kirkpatrick again mastered the herdwicks of the Northwest of England on Sunday (July 6) to win the Lakeland Shears Open title for a third time...
- Legend Fagan still gets the prize, despite test defeat - June 30, 2014
- New Zealand shearing legend David Fagan gained some compensation for a test match defeat by winning the Blackface Championship as the Elders Primary Wool Shearing Sports New Zealand team started its 2014 UK tour at the Lochearnhead Shears in Scotland on Saturday...
- Kirkpatrick bounces back in Royal Highland open - June 23, 2014
- New Zealand shearer John Kirkpatrick has had a confidence-boosting win as he reclaimed the Royal Highland Show Open title in Scotland...
- A Fagan amongst the Joneses - June 16, 2014
- It's been a case of trying to keep up with the Joneses for young Te Kuiti shearer Jack Fagan as he strives for a breakthrough Open class win in the UK...
- Mutch wins all-Scotland final in the south - June 9, 2014
- New Zealand based World champion Scottish shearer Gavin Mutch was back in winning form with a comfortable victory at the South of Scotland Shears at Barony College in Dumfries early today (Monday NZT)...
- Fagan prodigy hitting the road in the UK - June 8, 2014
- Te Kuiti shearer Jack Fagan is hitting the same pace as set by legendary father David by competing in just about all shows going in his latest stint in the UK - including three in three days in England, Wales and Scotland...
- Smith-Fagan quinella, but not the same old one-two - June 7, 2014
- If it wasn't one Smith and one Fagan bugging the English shearers then it was another Smith and another Fagan as Kiwis dominated the final of the Royal Cornwall Show open shearing championship...
- New World champ Smith backs-up with big UK shears win - June 05, 2014
- New Zealand shearer Rowland Smith has produced winning form again by taking the 50th anniversary UK Golden Shears open title at the Royal Bath and West Show in Englandon May 30, just five days after winning the World Championship in Ireland...
2013/2014 Competition Directory
Download a full copy of the current competition directory by clicking here or view online here.
All events are listed online under North Island Competition Dates or South Island Competition Dates.
New Zealand wool is recognised internationally for its quality and consistency as a result of the partnership between sheep farmers, wool harvesters and processors. The skills of shearers, wool handlers and pressers maximise the value of the wool grown throughout the country and help maintain New Zealand's proud tradition as a producer of the world's finest wools.
Shearing Sports New Zealand - our role...
- Manage the delivery of over 60 shearing, wool handling and pressing competitions throughout New Zealand annually
- Establish, promote and measure national quality standards in all wool harvesting disciplines at all competitions
- Profile and promote New Zealand wools and wool products at all national and international competitions
- Promote professionalism among all people working in our industry by setting and maintaining standards at all events
- Support professional development and training through partnerships with the Agriculture Industry Training Organisation and Tectra to ensure that people in the industry work to high and consistent standards
- Work alongside New Zealand farmers and shearing contractors to ensure the quality of our wool is maintained and improved through the harvesting process
- Showcase the opportunities our industry presents young people as a career, and provide them support and mentoring through training and competition
Shearing Sports New Zealand - Life Members...
- Robin Kidd
- Hugh McCarroll